HOME EDUCATION 81.
Home education (1) A parent of a student may provide, at home, a home education programme for the student if the parent complies with this section and if the programme meets the goals and objectives outlined in section 3(3) of this Act.
(2) The parent shall, prior to the commencement of a home education programme for the student and on an annual basis thereafter for as long as the home education programme is offered, register the student with the Director of Education. No. 21 of 2008. 55 The Education Act, 2008.
(3) An educational plan for each student who is receiving home education shall be prepared and provided to the Director of Education subject to the following conditions— (a) The initial educational plan shall be prepared and provided to the Director of Education three months prior to the commencement of the home education programme; (b) The educational plan shall be for a minimum period of three school years and shall cover every year of the home education programme; (c) The educational plan shall include a description of the learning activities for the student that will comply with the goals and objectives set out in section 3(3) of this Act; and (d) The educational plan shall be based on the national curriculum as established by the Minister under Part 8 of this Act.
(4) The parent of a home education student may request that tests be administered to the student subject to the requirements of the regulations and to payment of fees prescribed by the regulations for any tests that are administered.
(5) A student in a home education programme may attend courses offered by the Minister subject to any terms and conditions established by the regulations. (
6) Subject to regulations made under this Act, the parent of a home education student may receive, for the student, educational resource materials and use of school facilities and equipment.
(7) The Director of Education shall— (a) provide for the assessment of the student’s achievement on a regular basis and communicate the results to the parent; (b) advise the parent if, in the opinion of the Director of Education, the student is not making reasonable progress in the programme; and (c) provide the parent with recommendations which will assist the student in improving the level of achievement